Quick & Planning Grants
The Michigan Humanities Council provides support for public humanities programs that fall outside the design and deadline schedules of the major grants. To help meet these requests and to match humanities resources and professionals with local needs, the Council offers Quick Grants and Planning Grants. Quick Grants provide up to $500 and Planning Grants provide up to $1,000 to Michigan-based, nonprofit organizations for public humanities programs or services. Organizations may only receive one quick or planning grant per year.
Eligible expenses include:
- Great Michigan Read: Program expenses supporting the Great Michigan Read, such as the cost of books, printing, promotion, video/audio taping, exhibit rental, honoraria, travel expenses for humanities professionals leading a book discussion group or speaking on a related Great Michigan Read topic. Other expenses that enable students or groups affiliated with a nonprofit to participate in Great Michigan Read programming will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Planning (up to $1,000): Honoraria and/or travel expenses for humanities professionals serving as consultants in developing a public humanities project or program that will result in a nonprofit organization applying for a major grant through the Michigan Humanities Council. The professional(s) are to work with an organization/committee to develop the content, work plan, budget and project implementation strategy.
- Guest Speakers: Honoraria and/or travel expenses for humanities professionals participating in film/video/exhibit events, conferences and lectures; may also cover expenses such as printing, promotion, video/audio taping, exhibit rental, etc., related to the humanities professional participating in or leading the program.
- Reading/Discussion Programs: Honoraria and/or travel expenses for humanities professionals leading book discussion groups at libraries or community centers; may also cover expenses such as printing, promotion, video/audio taping, exhibit rental, etc., related to the humanities professional participating in or leading the program.
NOTE: Programs and presenters already supported through the Arts & Humanities Touring Program are not eligible for additional Quick Grant support.
How to Apply
NOTE: At this time, the Council has awarded all Quick Grant funds. Please check back in the fall of 2012 for updates.
Submission and Deadlines
The Council must receive applications for Quick Grants or Planning Grants at least four (4) weeks prior to your program or planning date. Retroactive applications will not be accepted.
Quick and Planning Grants are awarded on a first-come, first-served basis until the allocation for the fiscal year (November 1-October 31) is committed. Sponsors are limited to no more than one Quick Grant or Planning Grant award per year. Priority is given to first-time applicants and organizations that do not have another Council grant already in progress.
Notification and Grant Administration
Successful applicants will be notified by mail, usually within four weeks of receipt of the application. They will receive grant contracts, evaluation and financial reporting forms, and instructions for program promotion and acknowledgement of the Michigan Humanities Council and National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) for support of program activities. Once the project is completed, the evaluation and financial reporting forms must be returned to the Council within 30 days. Applicants awarded a grant will receive 60 percent of the funds upon approval; the remaining 40 percent will be provided upon completion of all final reports.