Heather Abner Harrison
1018 State Street
- work phone
- home phone
- Academic affiliation
- MFA--Creative Writing, University of Michigan; Wayne State University, Master of Library & Informati
- Creative Writing, Poetry;
- Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI September, 1992 – August, 1996
- Other organization(s)
Area(s) of specialization
- I served for two years as the Creative Director of the Wayne State University Libraries Chapbook Literacy Project, a K-20 collaborative outreach poetry project between Wayne State University Libraries and local Detroit area K-12 schools. In that capacity I worked with K-12 students (elementary-high school) including ELL students, college students, senior citizens, and a female medium-security prisoner population.
Creative Director – WSULS Chapbook Literacy Project
-Write grant applications to federal, state, and private organizations
-Research and prepare educational materials appropriate for K-12 students
-Teach poetry techniques, computer skills, and information literacy skills
I currently serve as the founder/Director of the Silver Bear Poetry Project a program for K-12 students that aims to increase literacy and self-esteem, and encourage students to view writing as an exciting and dynamic means of expression through innovative poetry education. SBPP takes an interdisciplinary, holistic approach to literacy. All activities are designed to increase student skills in the following areas: creativity, technology, literacy, critical thinking, research, collaboration, and public speaking.
Oakland Community College,Orchard Ridge Campus, Farmington Hills, MI
Subjects: English Composition, Developmental Writing
Jackson Community College,Jackson
Subject: English Composition, Developmental Writing, Creative Writing
- Suggestions for projects:
- Poetry workshops aimed at K-12 students in Michigan.